There’s something about a beautiful, sexy, alluring, smart, and charming woman who just happens to be older than you. They have a certain confidence about them and their experience is a turn-on. In the past they were just known as attractive older women but today they’re identified as cougars. We wanted to get the scoop on cougars, how to approach them, date them, and even understand them so we went to the best. The best happens to be a stunning cougar herself. Her name is Lucia and she is an internationally known dating/relationship expert, author of “Lucia’s Lessons of Love”, former host of “The Art of Love” on L.A. Talk Radio and keynote speaker. She has over 100 major national and international TV and radio credits including Dr. Phil, The Tyra Banks Show, E! Entertainment, 60 Minutes Australia, the CBS Early Show, ABC 7 News, Good Day L.A and the KTLA News.
Lucia has been interviewed by numerous publications including Details, Business Week, Allure, Elle and media from Italy, France, Germany, Canada, Japan, the UK, Australia, Azerbaijan, Chile and Denmark. She is also the CEO of www.thecougarclub.co. I sat down with Lucia to talk cougars and not only did we get some great information but she gave us the 10 Steps to Dating a Cougar.
It should be noted that the definition of a cougar is a single woman over 40 years old who dates men at least 10 years younger. Lucia also says that the reasons why cougar like younger guys is because they may have less baggage, be more in shape, be more adventurous, amongst other things.
With all that said, let’s get into the 10 Steps:
- You have to look good.
- You have to be confident.
- Your opening line should be good but an older woman is more forgiving. She won’t tell you to get lost like a girl in her 20’s might. In the end, if she’s really not interested, she’ll let you down easy.
- Ask for her number and give her yours.
- When it comes to communicating, cougars are a little more old fashioned. Don’t text so much because we find it less personal. The phone is more intimate.
- Make sure to ask her out on the phone and not through text. “Don’t text me to chill; I’m not a bottle of wine.”
- Cougars know young guys might not have a lot of money so they don’t expect an elaborate date. Take her for ice cream and a walk in the park. If you don’t have the money you don’t need to take her to the opera. You also need to remember that cougars have a young mentality so they don’t necessarily need that.
- Send a text the after a date. We don’t play games. We appreciate that.
- Go in for a kiss on the first date to see if she’s interested. But cougars are like any other woman. Some just want sex and some want to wait.
- When it comes to sex, just do it, be confident. Being a minute man is never a good thing. Older women have experience so they’ll be adventurous. Also, when it comes to cougars younger men should be open to learning and taking direction in bed. They’ll become better lovers as a result of it.